Wednesday, November 5, 2014

The Bricks Go Building One by One Hurrah Hurrah

We are finally ready to start building our house.  YAY!

The first question you might ask is... To glue or not to glue...

If you choose to glue, I would suggest airplane model glue.  But beware... it is permanent and VERY difficult to get "unstuck". I would personally wait until your building is complete and then glue everything all at once. It may seem counterintuitive, but if you glue as you go and you need to "remodel", you will be in trouble. 

Look at your stash and choose a color of bricks that you have a ton of.  I am choosing multiple colors of gray.  I don't think that I have enough of any one color to make the whole house.  Plus, I figure, brick is normally multiple colors - so I'm golden.

Keep in mind, you can make rainbow walls, with bricks of every color under the rainbow. This is your house - make it your dream home. 

I will be using the one-wide bricks.  I do not want the walls to be too thick.  However, if you have more of the two-wide bricks, feel free to use those instead.  This is a fluid process and there is no wrong answer. 

First, please make sure that your bricks are staggered like this:


This adds stability to your house.  Building them in column style like this:



Leads to unstable columns that could easily move with transfers. 

While building, make sure to take note where to add the windows in and do so.


This is the height and the window placement that I chose.  I want my house to be 9 bricks high.  You could probably get away with seven bricks high, however, I want to be able to stick my hands in there and play once this is built, so I am going a little higher.

Here is my finished first floor.


Notice that I put all of my windows at the same height.  The door is right at the bottom of my building. (so that the mini peeps can walk through!)


I did a little sunroom off of the side of the house and I used the "castle" windows. 

I hope you feel free to post your first floor creations as well.

See you soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment